Essential Services Consultant (NSW)
This is a full time role, based in the Philip Chun NSW office (Artarmon).
The Essential Services Consultant will be required to work within a small team within the Essential Services unit and will be involved in all aspects of the business to varying degrees. This includes the marketing, business development, client relationships and delivering a quality and timely service to our clients.
Philip Chun Essential Services provides building owners / agents, property / maintenance managers and building contractors a service to ensure that the statutory obligations are met with respect to the ongoing safety, reliability and maintenance of building Essential Safety Measures.
Under the current Environmental Planning and Assessment Regulations 2000 building owners / agents are responsible for the inspection, testing, preventive maintenance, survey and record keeping of their buildings Essential Safety Measures (e.g. fire hydrants, emergency lights, exits) for the life of the building.
The regulations also require that, prior to the anniversary of the Occupancy Certificate; a Fire Safety Statement is issued for the building.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES, COMPETENCIES and BEHAVIOURS
Skills and Attributes
- Able to work within a small co-operative team environment.
- Able to work under direction as well and independently when required.
- Have good inter-personal skills.
- Able to interact with clients and contractors in a professional, timely and suitable manner maintaining the integrity and reputation of the company.
- Have and further develop a detailed understanding of the legislative requirements governing the requirements for Essential Services maintenance predominantly in NSW as well as the other Australian States.
- Have and develop suitable knowledge of the Building Code of Australia.
- Have and develop suitable knowledge of the Planning and Assessment Regulations 2000
- Have and develop suitable knowledge of reading and understanding Fire Engineering Reports.
- Have and develop suitable knowledge of the relevant Australian Standards, specifically AS 1851.
- Have suitable knowledge of basic Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook programs.
- Be willing to learn new software programs.
- Assist in obtaining new business opportunities and identify and implement marketing strategies to achieve growth of the existing client base.
- Assist in targeting different clients: Architects, Building Owners, Builders, and Facility Managers.
- Contact potential clients via phone, email, meeting or mailing out letters;
- Contact list based on:
- Recently completed projects and annual renewals.
- Enquiries which arise through PCA building surveyors clients.
- Targeted companies.
- Develop an understanding of our fee structure and scope of service provided.
- Work towards assisting in preparing new/amended fee proposals.
Initial Surveying / Establish buildings scope
- Visiting new clients on site
- Carrying out initial site surveys, checking which existing ESM are present.
- Gathering information on existing contractors engaged for maintenance.
- Assessing existing record keeping.
Setup ESM Manuals
- Input data into software, customised to specific buildings services.
- Prepare and deliver hard copy ESM Manual to clients.
- Discuss the use and operation of the ESM Manual with clients and contractors.
Inspections and Reports
- Conducting essential fire safety measures audits, facilitating system interface tests and completing Annual Fire Safety Statements
- Carry out inspections to Essential Services, e.g. paths of travel, exit doors, smoke doors, annual lift shaft inspections, fire resisting structures, fire penetrations, etc.
- Prepare site inspection reports and/or complete inspection records.
- Follow-up on contractors reporting and inspection carried out.
- Generally assist clients with their queries and requests.
- Examine the maintenance documentation for the building or site including the maintenance manuals, inspection reports, logbooks and test certificates, to determine the appropriate level of performance & maintenance requirements is being achieved.
- Report back to client on compliance.
Issue of Annual Reports
- Undertake 12 monthly audits / review the maintenance documentation.
- Prepare and present Annual Fire Safety Statement, if appropriate to do so.
KEY SELECTION MATERIAL
- Knowledge of Building Codes and Regulations
- Good communication skills
- Able to work autonomously and as part of an efficient team
- Experience in a similar position
- Good time-management skills
- Deltek Vision database experience
- Bluebeam architectural plan mark ups
You will have attained accreditation as a “Accredited Practitioner (Fire Safety) under the FPAS scheme for a Fire Safety Assessor”, or be eligible to accomplish this.
You will possess the ability to work both autonomously and collaboratively with others to achieve collective goals as well as the skills to communicate and build strong business relationships.
Tertiary qualifications in engineering or fire technology, plus previous experience in a consulting role will be highly regarded.
This is a full time position, Monday to Friday. Please note that due to the nature of the roll, some out of hours/weekend work may be required, therefore flexibility is will be essential.
Transport full driver’s license also required for this role.
An attractive salary package commensurate with experience is offered.
Please submit your CV along with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org